Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Social Exchange Theory (SeXT)..........

I thought I had the most boring class in my MBA this semester...Organizational Behavior! Until I got a C in my mid-terms and from then on I made sure I was INTERESTED in it :-)......

Of all the things I learnt in the class the one that caught my attention was SeXT. The gist of it is :
1. We never do any favors or help someone out of our way without our own "selfish" reasons behind it!
2. A relationship dies over a period of time when only one person in giving and there is no passive if not active response from the other end!

I am surprised that I AGREE to both the above statements!

I have had friends who have helped me so much and I have had friends who tell me I am a GOOD person. But at the end of the day, the reason you are good or bad towards someone might be for some reasoning of your own. I feel I care and help and do things out of my way for people I love, like and care for. Or at times do it since I feel happy about it. So its all about ME!!

And coming to the latter point, there is always some expectation from a relationship. If that is not met or failed continuously it would eventually die. Again it is about ME and MY expectations! I want to be happy and once you see that might not hold good in the long run I would try to opt out of it. I used to feel that it is an incorrect choice to be made, but having experienced it....I feel its better to opt out and be neutral than continue and be unhappy!

However this is NO  RULE!! There are always exceptions such as :

1. Transformational leaders might not have had a selfish incentive in the beginning or the incentive might have died in the long run!
2. Love & Care of your parents towards you is in no way effected by how much you love them.

Well from the looks of it SeXT  exists and is real for ME!


Thinking Hard,
Arpitha


No comments: